I am working on a mangy project for a customer where he would moves their own workloads from vCloud Director to vRealize Automation.
Below I have prepared macro steps for moving from one platform to another.
- Install vRealize Automation
- Configure vCloud Director and vSphere as endpoints
- Create vRA Blueprints that represent the vApp provisioned
- Optional step: If you want to rename the provisioned VM created by vCloud Director (which is use a particular naming convention), you power-off the VM and clone it with new name.
- With VMware migration tool in vRealize, generate a CSV file listing all the provisioned workloads in vCD
- Edit CSV to specify information about business group/owner, blueprint, reservation policy already configured in vRA
- Use the bulk import feature (providing the above CSV as input file) to bring the VM under vRA management
- Single-machine vApp → vSphere machine
- Multi-machine vApp → multi-machine vRA service
No machine are physically moved during this import process.